Wednesday, September 16, 2026

MMO prepares to resume I-VMS enforcement activity as installations progress

MMO is preparing to resume normal I-VMS enforcement activity as installation of Nemo devices continues across the inshore fleet

In July 2026, the Marine Management Organisation (MMO) confirmed that more than 92% of eligible vessels had been registered for a Nemo device.

This milestone follows work to address the cessation of data transmissions from SC2 devices to the UK Vessel Monitoring System (VMS) Hub.

Almost half of the registered devices have since been installed, with the remaining

installations expected to be completed over the coming weeks.

As installation of replacement devices progresses, MMO is preparing to return to normal compliance and enforcement of I-VMS requirements for licenced under-12 metre English fishing vessels

Those who have not yet purchased an MMO approved I-VMS device for their vessel are encouraged to do so as soon as possible. MMO has written to affected licence holders with information on updating their records with MMO or purchasing a device.

To meet requirements, vessels must carry an MMO-approved I-VMS device capable of transmitting data to the UK VMS Hub.

Vessel owners awaiting installation should charge their Nemo device for 48 hours before their appointment, and check that the green light is showing. Until that time, devices should be stored safely in the original packaging.

CLS UK will contact vessel owners in advance of any airtime payment request. Airtime contracts and renewals are expected to start once normal enforcement of I-VMS resumes.

Fishermen who have concerns about their Nemo device, or believe it may be faulty, are urged to contact CLS UK as soon as possible, even if the warranty period has expired. Remedial work or replacement devices will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

I-VMS data supports fisheries management and fair and consistent regulation across the fleet by providing accurate information about vessel positions. The data also helps support evidence requirements, including where displacement of fishing activity may need to be assessed for compensation.

For questions about I-VMS, contact our dedicated helpline on 01900 508 618 (Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm) or email ivms@marinemanagement.org.uk.

Further information, including device guidance and frequently asked questions is available on GOV.UK: www.gov.uk/mmo/i-vms-england.

No comments:

Post a Comment