Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Lauren Price is BBC Cymru Wales Sports Personality of the Year 2021

Olympic gold medal winning boxer Lauren Price has been crowned BBC Cymru Wales Sports Personality of the Year 2021.


I can’t quite believe it. It’s topped my year off. It’s an honour to receive this. I’m Welsh and I’m proud to be Welsh. For me, it’s mad to think that I’m on the trophy alongside some of these names and I can’t really put it into words. Thank you to everyone, it means the world.”

— Lauren Price

Rounding off a spectacular year after becoming the first ever Welsh fighter to

win an Olympic boxing gold medal at this year’s Olympic Games in Tokyo, Lauren Price was tonight (8 December) named the winner during the BBC Wales Sports Review of the Year 2021 on BBC One Wales.


Middleweight Price - who has also been a world kickboxing champion and represented Wales in football, as well as in netball and taekwondo at different age groups - added to her impressive sporting CV by beating China’s Li Qian to claim gold at this year’s Olympic Games.


The award - that was decided by a panel - was presented by former Wales footballer Nathan Blake and announced during the broadcast of the annual Welsh Sports Review that rounds up the greatest moments in Welsh sport from the last 12 months.


Lauren Price says: “I can’t quite believe it. It’s topped my year off. It’s an honour to receive this. I’m Welsh and I’m proud to be Welsh. For me, it’s mad to think that I’m on the trophy alongside some of these names and I can’t really put it into words. Thank you to everyone, it means the world.”


Lauren now joins a long list of Welsh sporting royalty to have won the award. Previous winners include Wales rugby captain Alun Wyn Jones, Olympic gold medallist Jade Jones, Paralympic gold medallist Tanni Grey-Thompson, boxer Joe Calzaghe and Wales footballer Gareth Bale.


The BBC Wales Sports Review of the Year is available now on BBC iPlayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Articles